Tuesday, August 31, 2010

We "Can" Do Anything!

Mason jars are a little obsession of mine. I love that "southern comfort" vibe they give off. One of my favorite uses for these jars is as a flower vase, which is why I used them as centerpieces for my wedding. Because I had so many mason jars left over, I decided to put them to use in a more traditional way...canning.

Canning Experiment #1: Jalapeno Pepper Jelly
Now, it took me a few years of smelling this stuff before I even tasted it. It LOOKS very weird. But once I put this magnificent concoction in my mouth, I was hooked! After searching long and hard for the perfect recipe, I dove fearlessly into creating my first batch of homemade pepper jelly. I let it sit for the recommeded 12 hours, then Nicky and I poured a few tablespoons over a block of cream cheese and dug in. Result: SUCCESS!!!

Canning Experiment #2: Salsa
Nicky has been thinking of what he would like to can, and since he LOVES mexican food, he naturally chose Salsa. He also searched long and hard for the perfect recipe, and being the creative cook that he is, added a few ingredients of his own. Once again, we let it sit overnight, and then tore into it with a bag of Tostitos in tow! Result: SUCCESS!!!

2 comments:

  1. So you can go ahead and bring me a can of each this weekend.. THANKS! :)

    ReplyDelete