Thursday, August 12, 2010

Home Sweet Houma

Well, we are here and all settled in. We've actually been here for about 2 weeks, now, but today was Internet Installation Day. :)

Moving day (Saturday, July 31) went really well. Nicky took care of supervising the movers, and his mom helped me unpack countless boxes. We also took a trip to Sam's that night and she bought us a beautiful bouquet of red and yellow roses to make our new apartment feel like a home. The following Sunday, my parents and brother came to visit. They helped us finish off the unpacking, took us to lunch, and then we all went to explore Academy and Target. We now have a second bathroom, so, as a house-warming gift, my parents bought us a shower curtain and rug to outfit our new space. Overall, it was a great weekend, and we felt so loved and supported by our families.


Monday morning came bright and early. With this new position, Nicky is able to get to work a little later, so we had time to enjoy breakfast and coffee together. And then he so kindly (with a few moments of eye-rolling) let me take a picture of him on his way to his first day of work.


Not knowing anyone has obviously been a little lonely, but it's given me the chance to go exploring. I've been paying attention to little details around town, and I've taken pictures of a few things that make me smile and bring me joy.

First, I love this sign. You can find them ALL OVER our apartment complex. At first I thought it was a joke. It's not. Apparently, we moved to "The Bayou", as everyone so affectionately says down here.

This next one is of a fire hydrant. I LOVE the fire hydrants here. I think every town should paint their fire hydrants happy colors like this. I can't help but smile every time I see one.


The following photo is of an ice cream shop called "Scarlet Scoop." It's a precious little parlor that has been open since 1968, and it is set up similar to Borden's in Lafayette, but with even more charm. They have an ice cream called "Oil Spill" and it consists of vanilla ice cream and various chocolate mix-ins, including Oreo's...YUM! Nicky and I enjoyed a little date night there just last night, and we can't wait to bring our friends when they come to visit. (Hint, hint...)
















With us enjoying ice cream date nights, I've been trying super hard to make healthier meals and treats at home. Mrs. Donna (Nicky's mom) filled me in on the Applesauce secret. Instead of mixing butter, oil, and eggs into your cake batter, just use applesauce! This makes the cake so moist that you don't even need icing! I made this the other night and we absolutely loved it. It was delicious and I can't wait to make it again!


1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness! ok first things first...when we come visit, can we please go to that ice cream store the moment we get into town?!? and second how cute is nicky?? it's like his first day of school. :) and third...what????? applesauce?? that's amazing. i've read blogs mentioning it before but never thought it would actually taste good. do tell! longest. comment. ever.

    ReplyDelete