Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My heavy heart got me thinking...

This past weekend, four students from Vandebilt Catholic High School were killed in an accident on their way home from the LSU game. Three of the students were 17 years old and one was only 15 years old. One of the boys was the starting quarterback of the football team, one was a safety. One girl was a cheerleader and the other involved in campus ministries. I can not imagine what it is like for the parents of these children. The school, which is about a mile from our home, is absolutely devastated. This tragedy has really touched this small town, and my heart is just so heavy. Their lives were cut so short, and it just seems so unfair. I know that this tragedy is greatly affecting those close to the kids, but it's greatly affecting me - someone who has never even met them. It has me examining my life and what I'm doing with it, because God could call me Home any second. As I was reading through Matthew chapter 22 this morning, I was stopped in my tracks by the following verses:

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " ' Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."   Matthew 22: 36 - 40

And these verses got me thinking... do the things that fill my heart, life and schedule reflect these commandments? The Creator of the universe and Lover of my soul is telling us to love Him back with our whole beings and to share this love with those around us. It seems like a simple commandment, but time and time again, I am disobedient. Thankfully, God is a God of second chances and forgiveness. But in the midst of this local tragedy, I'm really meditating on what my life is centering upon. I think in times like this, a lot of people start looking at the conditions of their hearts...

No comments:

Post a Comment